That’s what Jon Acuff told us to do when I heard him speak at Blissdom. But, it’s easier said than done. I’m one of those rapid learners who soaks everything up and then spits it back out to anyone who will listen (right, Laura?) but then I don’t do anything with it for ME. #ProgressFail
So, I’m doing something. Not just anything, either. Here’s what I’ve been up to since – and partly because of – Blissdom: (If you don’t know what Blissdom is, it’s this way awesome conference for anyone who loves writing, social media, photography, etc. and I LOVED it!)
- I put my site back together with the help of my new favorite gal, Lindsey from Pretty Darn Cute Design. Her sister Erin is pretty cool too. 🙂 Now it can be both my business site and my blog. All in one place. I even added a nifty portfolio of my design work.
- I picked my friend Jessie‘s brain (she’s a literary agent) about writing my book. Gained a lot of insight into building my platform back up after being out of the game for almost two years (Babies will do that to you – who can relate?). I even changed my twitter handle, created a business board on Pinterest with all my writing samples, and set up a Facebook page!
- Stephanie and I decided right there in one of the sessions that we’ll be co-authoring an e-book together. (Know someone who’s suffered loss and don’t know how to help them? Stay tuned!) My friend Ang was also kind enough to gift her book to me, which has helped me get the e-book off the ground.
- I printed out a calendar that I’m going to use to help me plan out my blogging and writing. Thanks Dani! (We bartered for this one, she sent me the PDF and I’m helping her with designing the cover for her print version.)
- I connected with the founders of a great Christian blog called Thirty-One:10 and am now one of their main contributors. You should definitely check it out, because with ten different viewpoints and a whole lot of funny, you can’t go wrong.
- And, quite possibly my best ‘You can really do this’ moment? When CC Chapman said to me that he had told my story to several people that day, that it had really touched him. I laughed and said he could write the forward of my book. To which he said, “Your book doesn’t need a forward!” Ummm… speechless… and that doesn’t happen often. #AuthorsAreMyMovieStars
Jon Acuff’s new book START
THE CC Chapman
Annie Downs had this quote in her session – totally clicked!
Aren’t connections awesome?!
To think, that when I headed to Blissdom, I was just ‘the mom who had triplets and lost one.’ (That was my tagline.) But, now, I realize I’m so much more. That tagline will help me build my platform, and it’s what my blog and book writing will center around, but I’m SO. MUCH. MORE.
All because I chose to START.
Lindsey & Erin, two sisters I’m glad I met!
My awesome roomie, Kristi, from www.CreativeKristi.com.
Alli and me at Blissdom.
Want a sneak peak at a few things I’ve got coming up? Here are some previews:
- I’ll be reviewing The Christian Parenting Handbook – a new book aimed at helping Christian parents raise Godly children. Great perks involved in this one!
- I’ll have a review and giveaway from V05! Someone will win all the products I review!
- I’ll be sharing some great recipes and also some perks from my partnership with EMeals, passed right on to you!
- Great (hopefully you agree) posts on family, faith, loss, the book-writing journey, baking, and other random things. It won’t all be reviews. 🙂
I hope you’ll join me as I move forward in this journey. Bear with me as I wade my way back into somewhat familiar waters, it’s been awhile. Thanks to everyone mentioned above (and even those who weren’t) for helping me START. Finally.
Oh, and one more thing, because I just can’t resist…
Scott Stratten signed my book. And, because he wrote it, it must be true:
Scott Stratten’s Book.