That’s what Jon Acuff told us to do when I heard him speak at Blissdom. But, it’s easier said than done. I’m one of those rapid learners who soaks everything up and then spits it back out to anyone who will listen (right, Laura?) but then I don’t do anything with it for ME. #ProgressFail
So, I’m doing something. Not just anything, either. Here’s what I’ve been up to since – and partly because of – Blissdom: (If you don’t know what Blissdom is, it’s this way awesome conference for anyone who loves writing, social media, photography, etc. and I LOVED it!)
- I put my site back together with the help of my new favorite gal, Lindsey from Pretty Darn Cute Design. Her sister Erin is pretty cool too. 🙂 Now it can be both my business site and my blog. All in one place. I even added a nifty portfolio of my design work.
- I picked my friend Jessie‘s brain (she’s a literary agent) about writing my book. Gained a lot of insight into building my platform back up after being out of the game for almost two years (Babies will do that to you – who can relate?). I even changed my twitter handle, created a business board on Pinterest with all my writing samples, and set up a Facebook page!
- Stephanie and I decided right there in one of the sessions that we’ll be co-authoring an e-book together. (Know someone who’s suffered loss and don’t know how to help them? Stay tuned!) My friend Ang was also kind enough to gift her book to me, which has helped me get the e-book off the ground.
- I printed out a calendar that I’m going to use to help me plan out my blogging and writing. Thanks Dani! (We bartered for this one, she sent me the PDF and I’m helping her with designing the cover for her print version.)
- I connected with the founders of a great Christian blog called Thirty-One:10 and am now one of their main contributors. You should definitely check it out, because with ten different viewpoints and a whole lot of funny, you can’t go wrong.
- And, quite possibly my best ‘You can really do this’ moment? When CC Chapman said to me that he had told my story to several people that day, that it had really touched him. I laughed and said he could write the forward of my book. To which he said, “Your book doesn’t need a forward!” Ummm… speechless… and that doesn’t happen often. #AuthorsAreMyMovieStars
Jon Acuff’s new book START
THE CC Chapman
Annie Downs had this quote in her session – totally clicked!
Aren’t connections awesome?!
To think, that when I headed to Blissdom, I was just ‘the mom who had triplets and lost one.’ (That was my tagline.) But, now, I realize I’m so much more. That tagline will help me build my platform, and it’s what my blog and book writing will center around, but I’m SO. MUCH. MORE.
All because I chose to START.
Lindsey & Erin, two sisters I’m glad I met!
My awesome roomie, Kristi, from www.CreativeKristi.com.
Alli and me at Blissdom.
Want a sneak peak at a few things I’ve got coming up? Here are some previews:
- I’ll be reviewing The Christian Parenting Handbook – a new book aimed at helping Christian parents raise Godly children. Great perks involved in this one!
- I’ll have a review and giveaway from V05! Someone will win all the products I review!
- I’ll be sharing some great recipes and also some perks from my partnership with EMeals, passed right on to you!
- Great (hopefully you agree) posts on family, faith, loss, the book-writing journey, baking, and other random things. It won’t all be reviews. 🙂
I hope you’ll join me as I move forward in this journey. Bear with me as I wade my way back into somewhat familiar waters, it’s been awhile. Thanks to everyone mentioned above (and even those who weren’t) for helping me START. Finally.
Oh, and one more thing, because I just can’t resist…
Scott Stratten signed my book. And, because he wrote it, it must be true:
Scott Stratten’s Book.
Sara Broers says
It was so nice to meet you in person. I am so excited for you and am excited to follow you on this new journey.
You too, Sara! I always enjoy meeting people that have been praying for our family – it’s special to me. 🙂
Kristi @ Creative Kristi says
I’m so glad that you started. A journey of a thousand steps starts with just one. 🙂 Great post! 🙂
Thank you, Kristi – and thank you for all the advice and tips you have given me! 🙂
Yay! I love this post for so many reasons, but mainly because you write the way you talk and it’s so fun to listen/read I cannot wait to buy your book(s)! I’m so glad we met!
Aww, thank you Lindsey! I guess I never thought of it that way, but you’re right. Glad to know it makes me easy to connect with!
Kate, aka guavalicious says
What an uplifting post! You are an inspiration!
So glad you are planning to write an ebook.
Aww, thank you Kate! I really appreciate that! So glad we met at Blissdom too! 🙂
C.C. Chapman says
So great to meet you, hear your story, hug and now read this.
IF you end up wanting a forward to your book I’d be honored to write it if you still want me. Just promise me that you WILL write the book because your story should be told and I believe in my heart that a lot of people would benefit from reading it!
Aww, thanks C.C.! I am definitely going to write the book, and am taking steps each day to do so! Building my platform, reading books, getting the blog going, guest posting, building connections, and outlining to name a few. Thanks for all your encouragement!
Chrissy Bernal says
What an amazing thing, Angela! Now THAT’s accountability! 😉
Chrissy Bernal says
I look forward to your journey and seeing the fruits of your literary labor! 🙂
Thanks Chrissy! I know you understand the process and how tough it can be. 🙂
What a grea recap. I wish you much success on fulfilling all your dreams. Sounds like you have some exciting times up ahead.
Thanks Kacey! I know you’ve got some changes in store too. I hope you’ve been able to get everything done that you wanted – I remember you saying it was a little crazy during Blissdom!
Laura SanchezQuan says
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being the kind of person who “soaks everything up and then spits it back out to anyone who will listen”…love it! 😉
Thanks, Laura! It’s only sometimes annoying to my hubby though… 😉
Get it girl!!! I know you were a huge inspiration to me at Blissdom!!! You can do ANYTHING your heart can dream up! xoxo
Aww, thanks girl! It was so awesome meeting you too. Hug your little girl for me! 🙂
What a great post. I’m so glad to have watched your entire journey…I’m glad you have shared it with me. I can’t wait to see how the WHOLE WORLD takes your message!! <3
Thanks, Monica! It’s exciting isn’t it? 🙂
Capri + 3--Theresa says
I am very sorry for your loss. The photo of your three children together is beautiful as is the grief picture. You have an engaging writing style. It is courageous and inspirational the way you share ;your family’s journey.
Thank you so much! I appreciate the compliment to my writing – it really is important to us to share our story with others and be a light in their darkness.
Saw your tweet about Jon’s new book. I just wrote a review myself.
As I skimmed your blog, Cy-Fair caught my eye b/c I”m from Houston, but now live in Bryan. My brother lives in Cy-Fair so we are there often. Congrats on Starting…You’re doing a great job.
ps. Just voted for you on Circle of Moms…good luck!
Hi Kerry! Thank you so much for stopping by. What a small world that we are from the same area. I’m heading over to read your review now! And, thank you for voting – that means a TON! 🙂